The Wright brothers, Lindbergh, Yeager, Gagarin, Shepard, and Armstrong. Names that have historical signifigance in humanity's reach for the stars. As of today we add Melvill to this list. Mike Melvill, a 63 year-old South African became the first civilian individual to earn his astronaut wings on Monday, June 21st, 2004. Melvill piloted Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne to an altitude of 100.12 kilometers (328,491 feet). Just 124 meters (408 feet) above what is recognized as the boundary between the Earth's atmosphere and space.
After the flight, astronaut Mike Melvill said, "The sky was jet black, with light blue along the horizon. It really was an awesome sight. You really do get the feeling that you've touched the face of God."
Just once in my life I yearn to see the curve of the Earth below me, the blackness of space above me, and the thin blue veil of atmosphere along the horizon. These things will let me know that I have, at least once, separated myself from the place of humanity's birth. And for that brief instant, I have walked with the giants along the shores of the almost unfathomable deepness. I will know that I have returned to my true home. Born of timeless dust, and returned for an instant, to the cacaphonous silence among those first creators.
It is a siren's call, pulling at my very soul. Alas, unhappily, I am bound by gravity's law and my reach restrained. So I stretch to the stars with all my heart and imagination. I see a kindred spirit, triumphant in flight. And I know not whether I should feel jealousy or joy. Sadness that for me, the exprience is but observation. Wild elation that it is upon these shoulders that I might yet stand.
Only the future knows if others may stand upon my shoulders and further push back the darkness of the immeasurable deepness. And I question silent God as to what sacrifice I might make that I too could soar into the firmament. What great thing I might offer, that humanity's children might stand upon my shoulders, daring to embrace the darkness.
My heart breaks like waves on the shores of the deep, and I would surrender everything to live where there is no light of day, only the immutable darkness of night. Weightless, free, my soul reflecting only the gleam of ageless starlight.
As the Sun rises, I awake to another day on this world knowing I stand among giants striving towards the infinities in the darkness. I eagerly await my turn to face the night, for I am a creature created, destined, to aspire. I dare to dream that, like them, I might touch the face of God.
- Pat Hykkonen & Anna Kent, June 2004
No comments:
Post a Comment