Sunday, March 01, 2009

A vision of the future from Microsoft

Future Vision Montage
Future Vision Montage


I picked this up from here. And I agree with the original blogger that this is what I'd really like to see from Microsoft. Be visionary, make a difference in the technology. Sure selling software to business and enterprise is a way to make money long term. But if you want me to believe, take me to the future.

The video is what MS thinks may be occurring a decade from now. Amazingly enough, I think this one is closer than most videos of this type... although I also believe that this, like all the others miss by a wide margin as well.

Of course, the first video of this type was Apple's Knowledge Navigator from 1987.



A lot of that has not come to pass. What is most amazing is the vision of the ever present Internet. Pretty cognizant for 1987.

Bill Gates' last vision from his book "The Road Ahead" was published in 1995.



And it seems that, at the very least, the ideas about video distribution a right on the money within acceptable variations. The TV the Mom watches may be more Tivo-like or AppleTV-like nowadays rather than truly driven by the networks... but it's close. I would point out that you're watching these through the video services on the Net.

Again, all got somethings right, somethings wrong and in hindsight there's some stuff that's downright chilling after having lived through and with these technologies.

No comments: