I have a friend who is a writer. Over twenty years ago I sat with him, late one nite, on a bridge over the canals of Las Colinas talking about various things. One of those things was story and how I envied his ability to put mere (ha!) words together to tell a story. I also, that nite or soon thereafter, claimed that copyright was dead. His rebuttal was that this is how he hoped to make part of his living, selling books. I responded that I believed the system to be out of whack. That his skill, and therefore value, is the ability to build a story using only words. That all the other stuff is extraneous and middle-man fluff.
In so many words.
Copyright is dead. Creators will create. Nothing will stop them. Consumers will consume. Nothing will stop them.
This is what Hollywood should fear, this is what any industry that is essentially a middle-man or broker role should fear.
Sintel is a short movie that was created entirely on commodity hardware using open-source tools. The story is compelling and moving. From a technical standpoint everything works, beautifully. If this is what a talented team can do outside of Hollywood now... wait a few years!
Then wait another couple of decades (a very short time, really) and see what humanity will be doing with atoms instead of bits.
No comments:
Post a Comment