Here's Adobe's latest little add in Trash Flash wars. Adobe apparently thinks that they've got the high ground in this little battle. Before you begin thinking that I'm an Apple Fanboi you must know that I'm not real satisfied with the "Apple Ecosystem" right now. My device is my device, my purchases are mine. I don't necessarily like the idea that Apple thinks they still own my hardware and can do with the Apps I've purchased as they please... that's another discussion though.
In this case Adobe is trying to make everyone believe that they have everyone's best interests at heart. "Hey, write once and run anywhere!" Or so they say. If you've been around the information technology scene for any length of time you would be rich if you had $10USD for every time some company had claimed that. Don't think I need to name any names to make my point.
I call bullshit. Adobe's got nothing new and like every other vendor that has tried the "write once, run anywhere" trick, they fail at it just as miserably. Indeed, until virtualization and emulation are ubiquitous the idea of WORA is unreachable as far as I am concerned.
Adobe would only have the high ground, so to speak, if their technology actually worked as well as they purport it to work. The thing is that Flash crashes quite often and is generally less-than-stable even when it is running "correctly." Just because Adobe's tools supposedly have three million developers (and I discount those numbers as well, maybe that many folks have downloaded a package), that does not make them correct in this argument. Might and numbers does not necessarily mean you win the debate. If Adobe truly wanted the high-road in this battle they should say nothing, market nothing, and commit to making their product better.
This is what sticks in a lot of folks craw. Apple does make a "better" product and is trying to ensure that product meets the needs of the consumers, not necessarily we geeks. Flash is a crappy product, it was the best at doing what it did when nothing else scratched that itch... and Adobe has rested on it's laurels rather than making it better and competitive. Adobe could fix their problems, but they'd rather get into a marketing tit-for-tat than expending their energies where they would be beneficial.
Nope, no mourning for Adobe.
No comments:
Post a Comment