Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Lifelong Dream

I have had a lifelong interest in humanity's reach for the stars.  I watched, awed, when Columbia launched in April 1981.  It was the first manned American space launch that I was old enough to remember and experience.  Since then I have seen several launches via television and every IMAX film about the space program.

I vowed to myself each time that I would make the physical trip to a launch one day.  Soon.

Then the end of the Shuttle program was announced, and I said to my wife with great emotion in my voice, "I'll never get to see a Shuttle launch."  Vowing to look at the schedule to see if there is any way.

Two flights remaining!

OUTSTANDING!

Ask the wife if she wants to visit Florida in September.  Take the travel trailer and camp for about a week on the east coast.  I know her answer, even before I ask.  She's a salt-water fish so she would agree to anything that would get her close to an ocean shore.

Manatee Hammock RV Park in Titusville, FL seems a good location and comes highly recommended.  As of Friday May 14th we have confirmed reservations for the days surrounding the launch of Discovery on STS-133!

Now, just awaiting causeway launch viewing tickets to go on sale.

Stay tuned for further updates. 

Not a very good post.  The excitement and elation I feel at the possibility of getting to experience a launch is almost overwhelming.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Thats great! So wish I was in a position to make it out there :(