Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cold Turkey Facebook

I have recently left Facebook over numerous changes in their policies regarding data I had shared with my social network through their site.  A lot of folks have expressed that they believe I am being overly sensitive about the situation, a few have accused me of outright paranoia.

Well, as an information security professional shouldn't I be a bit paranoid?

But it's really not about paranoia.  It is about privacy, the right to ensure the data that I want to share with people is protected from disclosure to third parties that I don't want having the information.  Facebook has decided they are the arbiters of my personal information on their site, not me.

For those folks who believe me sensitive, or even paranoid, here's a good article that further describes reasons why I left and so should you.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Their increase in "dropping the ball" with security and laze faire response of "we have 400 MM users, sometimes this happens" is not doing much to warm the hearts of guys like us either! Congrats on your new found time on your hands!